Sunday, January 26, 2014

Annapurna Circuit Trek: Day 15



DAY 15: Tatopani to Ghorepani

My poor ankles! Bandaged up tightly and ready to go I started off at around 7:30am. This wasn't one of the longer days at 14 km but it was the day with the single highest altitude gain at between 1700-1800m difference.

It started almost instantly as once we crossed a suspension bridge we hit a series of switchbacks that had us gain about 400m in only a two kilometer travel distance. Once at the top I re-bandaged my ankles and was in pretty obvious pain. Two men from China came over and offered a spray that helped alleviate the pain. They then proceeded to GIVE me this treatment. The kindness you find from people - regardless of where they are from - is amazing.

Pushing on I tried to avoid further damage by trying to stabilize the ankle and just go at a slow and steady pace. This meant that the day's trek wouldn't end until about 5pm, but it is worth it not to rush. The mountain views about an hour after reaching the top of the set of switchbacks is incredible. Stop and just take it in and see if you can identify the peaks!

After reaching Chitre I was faced with the second large ascent of the day. This one covered about another 300m in a two kilometer hike. The difference being that it is through a beautiful forest and due to the elevation difference is quite a bit cooler! I eventually got to Ghorepani and found a room at the Hill Top Guesthouse. While having dinner I noticed a young man outside taking pictures. It was 6pm and pitch black. When I focused my view I noticed I could clearly see some of the peaks. When I went outside to ask what he was doing I found that he was taking long exposure pictures. I immediately went to get my tripod and tried taking some before the clouds rolled in and obscured the view.


Annapurna I (left); Annapurna South (right)


After about an hour of photos and talking with the young man, whose name was Ben, I had to get upstairs and get some sleep. The next day required getting up at 4:30am to see the sun come up!

Cost: Approx. 2200 Rs
Approx distance trekked: 14 km
Next up: The last day of the trek!

No comments:

Post a Comment