Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Annapurna Circuit Trek: Day 3




DAY 3: Ghermu to Tal


The third day saw me leave at around 8am to end up at the village of Tal. After a hearty breakfast of a simple omelet and some oatmeal with fresh apples and black tea, I began. It was another very warm day, but this would be the last one for quite a while, as the altitude would go up a lot over the next few days.

The day remained a bit uneventful, with very little in the way of wildlife seen, save for many lizards and a few smaller birds. In Jagat, I stopped for a much needed cold beverage, and continued. While in Jagat, saw a school that was working to raise the money to buy a computer, and donated 100Rs (approx. $1.25), and continued on.

The way from Jagat to Tal is only just over one-third of the day's travels, but it's quite easily the hardest stretch. After plunging down a good 70-80 meters to get to a very shaky suspension bridge, there was a series of switchbacks that went back up twice that. After getting through this rise, there would be two more major climbs left. Upon reaching the top of the first, I could see the second climb - and the last obstacle of the day! In the picture below, you can see the trail. From the point where I took this picture, it took me around one hour and fifteen minutes to reach the top.

It seems so close!

Once I reached the top, it was about another fifteen to twenty minutes to actually reach Tal. Good thing, too, as during that final climb, the weather started to turn and it sprinkled lightly. Thankfully, it held off, and I arrived at my day's destination dry. I stayed at the Dragon Guesthouse, that evening, and do recommend staying there, if you do go. It is one of the first guesthouses you will pass, and has very good food and is extremely hospitable.

Cost: 1,950Rs
Approx. distance trekked: 13 km

Next up: Day 4 and the longest trek of the trip!



No comments:

Post a Comment