Thursday, February 23, 2012

A story that helped give me the idea to do this....

Along with my love of Nepal and the wildlife that inhabits the country - namely the snow leopard - there was another story that helped give me the idea about what I will undertake in October. There's a great story that I read that made me think to doing this. Read about New York Mets knuckleballer R.A. Dickey and his climb to Kilimanjaro. He raised money for Bombay Teen Challenge, a very worthy cause that helps women in India to improve their lives and get them off the streets where many become a part of the seedier aspect of human culture.

After reading a prior story in early January about his soon-to-be climb, I thought about trying to use my trip to help give back to the world in some way. It turned into my own goal to help the World Wildlife Fund. While I certainly don't have the stature to raise the kind of money Dickey raised (he raised over $110,000!!!!), I want to work hard to hit my goal, and then see how much further I can take it. I really hope that anyone reading this can give even a few dollars on my Panda Page.

As I said in my last post, even five is more than zero. I think we can all help improve the world if we all give just a little of ourselves. In great numbers, that small amount adds up, and can help to give people around the globe a chance. Not just people, but the animals that share this planet with us! Thank you guys so much for whatever you can give. Remember, share this page with your friends! Basically? Pay it forward!

Lastly, congratulations to Dickey for far surpassing his fundraising goal and for making it to the top of Kilimanjaro!

No comments:

Post a Comment